Half term arrives next week for many schools (arrgghhh!) so this week I thought it would be good to get together a load of ideas for fun
FREE things to do with the kids.
A huge thank you to everyone who has contributed!
● “Go on a winter 'treasure hunt' & make a collage/winter display when you get home (after a warming hot chocolate!)”
● “Donkey Sanctuary at Sidmouth is free and fabulous.”
● Visit your local museum.
and Taunton ’s have both recently been re-opened and are well worth a visit! Exeter
● Visit your local library – check for half term activities too.
● Grab your wellies and go on a muddy puddle walk/sludge adventure!
● running free craft workshops in Durham Market 14th -16th February inc. puppet and card making. www.nedaycrafts.com
● If it’s too cold for it at the park, dig out your picnic rug, make some sandwiches and have a picnic in the living room!
● Do you have a railway bridge close to you? My young sons love to go and wave at the trains as they pass underneath!
● Some National Trust Estates, such as Wallington and Cragside in the North East are holding a free entry week. Check www.nationaltrust.org.uk for details for your local area.
● Arrange a “play over swap” with your children’s friends. It should give you a bit of a break too!
● Taunton Mums and Dads: “YMCA in
Lisieux Way, Taunton, have a free family day on Monday 10-2, fire engine, face painting etc”
● "Feed the ducks, do some painting / colouring / other craft stuff, read books, do puzzles, go for a walk and splash in puddles...”
● “Have a themed day around a fave story. EG The Gingerbread Man - start off reading it, make Gingerbread men, arts & crafts, treasure hunt to follow the gingerbread man's journey etc. Could link with any story."
● "For those near London The Southbank have a Family festival on with lots of free events. Check out Waterstones too. Ours has lots of free storytelling and book based activities on next week."
You may be able to do a bit of this too!
There are some other great blogs full of ideas too:
Please feel free to leave a comment below with your ideas or information on a free event in your area.